The Napa Valley Symphony (NVS) was founded in 1933 by Luigi Catalano, director of the Napa Conservatory of Music, as a means for students and volunteer musicians to provide symphonic music to the community. Following a brief period of dormancy during World War II, NVS was reformed as a community orchestra and prospered as such through the 19802. The organization was incorporated in 1959 working with a part-time volunteer staff and was recognized as a 501(c)(3) public benefit corporation in 1960. The first professional General Manager was engaged in 1981.
Maestro Asher Raboy joined the NVS from the Hudson Valley Philharmonic in 1990. In his 19 seasons as music director, the orchestra evolved into a fully professional union ensemble of 70+ musicians, and NVS now employs a professional administrative staff of three full-time and five part-time employees.